A Dictionary of Modern English Usage By.H.W.Fowler (9780199585892)
|Free delivery by Registered post for orders above Rs. 499|
- Fowler’s Dictionary of Modern English Usage is a classic, an unsurpassed resource on the correct use of English in matters of style, grammar, and syntax. Leading language expert David Crystal now re-evaluates Fowler for the twenty-first century.
- The only edition to include contextualizing introduction and commentary.
- David Crystal’s introduction places the Dictionary in the climate of its time, and reaches some fascinating conclusions about how the book really works, looking beyond the common notion that it is wholly prescriptive and idiosyncratic. Illustrated with numerous illuminating examples from the Dictionary.
- Notes on entries discuss the changes in usage and attitude between Fowler and the present day, showing how English has changed since the 1920s by reference to modern corpus studies, grammars, dictionaries, and the internet.
- Includes a chronology, bibliography, and a table of pronunciation preferences, showing how the pronunciation of words has changed during the past century.